Spicy “Tuna” Roll with Cauliflower Quinoa Rice
Enjoy this vegan-friendly take on a spicy “tuna” roll by swapping out tuna for juicy tomatoes.
|Prep Time: 15 minutes||Cook Time: 35minutes||Servings: 2 (16 pieces)|
- 1 medium/large tomato
- ½ teaspoon chili oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ sheet nori, shredded
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
Cauliflower Quinoa Rice
- 1 cup cooked cauliflower rice (can be made from scratch, we used frozen cauliflower rice)
- ½ cup cooked quinoa (can be made from scratch, we used frozen quinoa)
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 2 toasted nori sheets
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, for topping
- Sushi bamboo mat
- To make “Tuna”: Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil.
- With a knife, make a small X on the top of a tomato.
- Place tomato in boiling water. Prepare an ice bath while boiling tomato. Remove tomato from water once you notice the skin ripping from the flesh (around 3-5 minutes depending on how large your tomato is).
- Place tomato in the ice bath. Remove tomato from ice bath once it is cool to the touch, and peel skin off tomato using your hands.
- Cut the tomato into wedges and remove the watery core and seeds. Dice tomato flesh into ½ inch pieces.
- In a separate bowl, mix chili oil, tamari, sesame, shredded nori, and ginger powder to make a marinade for the tomato.
- Place tomatoes in marinade and let set for 20-30 minutes.
- While tomatoes are marinating, prepare quinoa and cauliflower rice.
- To make Cauliflower Quinoa Rice: Feel free to prepare these two ingredients however you may please. For this specific recipe, we used frozen quinoa and cauliflower rice for speed and convenience.
- Once quinoa and cauliflower rice are prepared, mix 1 cup of cooked cauliflower rice with ½ cup of cooked quinoa in a bowl. While still hot, incorporate 1 teaspoon of tamari and 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar. Stir mixture vigorously until the rice mixture becomes sticky. If you are finding that your mixture is not sticky, add more rice vinegar in small amounts between stirring. Once the rice mixture is sticky, cool to room temperature.
- To make Spicy Mayo: Make spicy mayo by mixing Sriracha and mayo together.
- Place toasted nori sheet on a bamboo mat. Place rice mixture on nori with wet hands. Pat down with your hands until the rice is evenly spread on the nori. Make sure to leave 1 inch of space at the top of the nori. Scoop spicy “tuna” in a line near the middle of the nori. Spread spicy mayo along the “tuna”. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of the “tuna”. Roll tightly. Cut the roll with a wet knife to prevent sticking. Serve with more spicy mayo or tamari.
1 serving (8 pieces)
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Protein: 5 g
Fat: 15 g
Sat fat: 1.3 g
Sugar: 6.1 g
Added sugar: 3.2 g
Fiber: 3.1 g